We were a week or so into basic.
We were "pickled"- meaning we had been handed our green uniforms (now they wear BDUs- which are camouflage- so I don't know if they are called pickles anymore).
Our name tags were on order and we would pick up our Dress Blues later. Basic was getting easier but there was still one thing on our weighing heavily on our minds- Taking a dump.
Yeah. I said it.
You see- we had been warned early in the program that when you experience a drastic change in your lifestyle, Like basic training, sometimes this messes with your biological clock. So it is not unusual for a person to have severe constipation.
Sometimes, an airman would get so backed up that they would actually get sick from it.
So a lot of us were looking for that first bowel movement and already at a week and a half in- many of us had not had it yet- including myself. It was a little amazing because we were eating and drinking big meals, 3 times a day.
Other than that- I thought I was doing pretty well.
I had gotten the meal routine down and had managed to stay under the radar, like Gary suggested.
Then one night just before lights out, Dillard, our Dorm Chief, got my attention with a "Pssssst" and motioned me over into the Day Room.
Dillard was an interesting character. He was this tall, olive skinned man whose chiseled face prominently displayed his Native American heritage.
Apparently, he came from a family with some money, too as he had been a professional model and his family owned "Dillards" the department store. He didn't need to be here in the military but there he was.
I remember how he volunteered to be the Dorm Chief that first day we were there. I thought he was a sucker for doing it because he was just ASKING for trouble being the leader of our flight. There were four Squad leader positions beneath him that had to be filled- no one volunteered for those- the T.I. just pulled them out due to the size of a person. I had managed to make myself unnoticeable during the selection by using the Jedi Mind Trick-
Okay, maybe not but I WAS lucky enough not to be picked.
"Pssst" Dillard beckoned.
I walked over to him in the dark- from his expression, I knew that this was serious.
"A couple of things I want to tell you. First off' I found these." He dangled a set of keys in front of me.
"What are THOSE?"
"These are the keys to the closet with all our civilian stuff in it!"
"WHAT!?" I said in a whispered yell.
"Yeah, I found them in the Sgt. Jone's office desk-"
See. Sgt. Jones, our T.I., didn't stay with us- the T.I.s went home after about 6 or 7pm. We were to clean ourselves up at the end of the day and get set for the next day- which meant laying out your uniform on a chair next to your bed in the PRECISE way that was lined out in your basic training manual (your uniform had to be ironed and your shoes shined, of course) and your locker also had to be organized correctly (also in the manual).
Sometime before you woke up (like 4am)- T.I.s would creep through and inspect your displays and lockers with a flashlight. If your shit was wrong you would lose the 341* that you conveniently had to place on top of your clothes.
So anyway- it was after the T.I. left that Dillard had gone into his office at the center of the dorm and found the keys.
"We are going to have to figure out how we are going to use these because I definitely want to read the books I brought." he told me.
"WE?" I said. What did I have to do with this? I'm just a nondescript airman trying to get to his second week of basic. And while I WANT to get into that closet- why am I involved in helping the Dorm Chief figure out how to do it?
"That's the other thing I wanted to talk to you about." Dillard said, "Were you in R.O.T.C?"
My face dropped. My eyes bulged. I was in total shock.
"How- How do you know that!? You can't tell anybody about that."
"Sgt. Jones told me."
"How'd HE know that!?" This was worse than I thought.
"I don't know but he told me he is going to make you a Squad Leader tomorrow."
Way worse.
"He said that your R.O.T.C. experience could help a squad come along real fast."
"SHIT! I don't want to be a squad leader!"
"Well, he told me it's going to happen, so I thought I'd give you a heads up."
Dillard raised the keys as he began to move away from me "We gotta figure out what we should do with these." and with that he left me standing in the dark Day Room.
I was pondering the future- Gary's warning about laying low was ringing in my head.
Keeping a low profile would be impossible standing at the front of a squad and being responsible for how they set their displays at night- FUCK!
I could see it now- I was going to lose a book of 341s trying to lead a squad of airmen.
Basic Training just got really hard.
Then, I convinced myself that somehow I would prove I was a fuck up so he COULDN'T promote me to squad leader but I didn't know exactly HOW I would do it. I knew that I was going to get out of this promotion, though. No DOUBT!
That night, I tossed the problem around my head over and over with very little sleep.
The next morning came waaaay too fast and many of our flight woke up to find the 341 on their displays missing. It was going to be a long day.
We formed up downstairs so we could march out to our morning exercises.
We had barely gotten into formation when Sgt. Jones mentioned how shitty we had done on our displays.
Then he turned to the second squad leader- a blond dude named Harris who was not much older than me- I was the youngest in the flight at 18.
"Harris! You look like a pussy. Are you a pussy, son?"
"Sir, No sir."
"Well I say you ARE a pussy!"
"Sir, No sir!"
"Are you calling me a liar, son!"
"Sir, No sir!"
"-And I think I detect a smile on your goddamn face, Airman Harris! Do you find the fact that I think you're a pussy, FUNNY!?"
"Sir, No sir!"
"Well, I think you DO, Harris. YOUR FIRED! We're gonna get us a new Squad Leader up here- GORDEN! Front and center!"
I was so surprised at how fast things were happening that I forgot my plan to fuck up and stepped up in perfect military fashion. I messed up a PERFECT opportunity to be a dumb ass.
"Airman Gorden reporting as ordered, SIR!"
"You're the new Squad Leader."
There was a shuffle because I was taller than the guy who was leader of 2ND squad so he became the new 3rd Squad Leader and I became 2ND Squad leader.
And that was that. We marched out to exercises with me leading the 2ND squad.
Dammit.
Later that day we were headed to the Day Room for our afternoon meeting.
Davis came in from the bathroom area with a smile on his face and his index fingers spread wide indicating the length of the beast he had just created.
"I did it! I finally did it!"
The two or three of us that heard him celebrated with high-fives and light laughter.
"Hold it down, you all- hold it down." Sgt. Blake said. She was the assistant T.I. to Sgt. Jones. A small framed black woman who would say the word "Furnt" in place of the word "Front"- as in "Airmen, align yourselves to the furnt!"
She and Sgt. Jones began to ream us royal over how shitty our displays were the night before and they told us they expected a different story tomorrow morning or there would be hell to pay. They broke the day early to allow us time to get our shit together.
So we split up into our Squads and for the first time I was alone with the five or six dudes that were under me.
I gathered the guys and broke the work up into tasks and asked who knew how to do what. Most of us were familiar with shoe shinning, I had ironing skills so me and this one Asian guy got together on that- we did the folding too. The other two guys went through and made sure that the lockers had everything where they were supposed to be- you know?
Like making sure all the hangars where evenly spaced. That the shaving cream and the tooth paste was closed with the tops clean. That the underwear was folded and placed correctly in the locker.
We were actually having a good time with it. Telling jokes and busying our hands.
It took us a while but we got it all together and put away.
Right after "lights out"- I crept out of bed and double checked all my squads displays before finally laying down- I slept hard that night.
Next thing you know- Taps was playing and we were at it again.
Sgt. Blake broke the bad news in the morning meeting.
"It's not that difficult Airmen!- You have a manual that TELLS you what your displays are supposed to look like and yet you failed! The only improvement in this dorm goes to second squad who didn't have any three-forty ones pulled."
At this my squad, who had chosen to sit near me began whispering "Yes!" and high-fiving one another.
"I suggest you figure out what second squad did and DO IT!", she continued.
Later that day, when it was time to get our displays together- I was asked what we did and other squad leaders broke their squads up into groups to where a group of us were shining shoes- another ironing and yet another checking lockers. So if you were good at something- that's what you did. People who couldn't iron worth a damn got their clothes ironed my someone with some skill in trade for shining their shoes- etc.
It was that night that Dillard decided to bust out the keys. Since we all kinda had assignments as to what we were to do- we might as well have our Walkmans on while we worked.
The 4 Squad leaders and Dillard explained the situation to the flight-
We would have to work diligently-
We would have to round up everything and put it back in the closet at the end of the night-
And of course no one could say SHIT about having our books and Walkmans out- EVER!
So that's how we rolled- listening to music- and dividing up the chores and knocking them out.
I told the Airmen in our Bay-
(the Flight is composed of two areas called "Bays". Each bay consists of two squads. Squads 1 and 2 slept in "A" Bay and Squads 3 and 4 slept in "B" Bay.)
So- I told the Airmen in A Bay that I had crept out of bed right after lights out to double check displays. A couple of airmen asked me if I would look at their lockers too. Which I did.
The following inspection we did much better. This time Blake had a lot of praise for us especially "A" Bay for only losing a couple of 341s.
When we were released to our dorms at lunch a member of the crew started rapping- "We're
A BAY! There is none higher! Oughta take B Bay and set 'em on fire!"
And a tiny rivalry was born. All the other squad leaders were double checking lockers after lights out as well as some other volunteers and that is how we rolled on inspection for the rest of basic.
We did however get lax with putting the books and the Walkmans away at the end of the night because we had figured out places to hide them in our personal areas- such as under the mattress.
This lax behaviour would catch up to us eventually.
3.16.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment