I'm a blur in this picture because I jumped at the camera at the last moment. Lil' Kim was always in motion with his trusty walker underneath him. This is a shot I stumbled across while digging through my treasure chest of memories.
It's the only picture I have of myself as a baby, though I know there are more out there somewhere.
Now, the story with this picture is NOT the crazy carpet that looks like something outta Vegas and it's NOT the fact that this is a polaroid from 1969- something a great many of you would not understand the significance of- hrrph! I'm not old. I'm distinguished.
No-
The point is the walker.
As a baby- I was told- I was a fuckin' madman in that walker. I would run that bad boy around the house like it was nobody's business- And I believe this is my Grandma's house.
I would be darting all over the place in my little walker- until one day I actually ran that walker right off the front porch steps of my grandma's house.
From then on- you couldn't get me back into that walker.
However...
I DID still grab onto the walker and use it to putter around the house. You couldn't get me into it but I wouldn't go without it.
I can still relate to the philosophy.
You'll also notice that I got my pacifier on a string 'round my neck- much later in life, when I became a latch-key kid, I would wear my home key the same way.
I don't know what I have on that second string around my neck but I DO look happy as hell to be hanging out.
I guess this would be the place to talk about my name-
I was born right after my mom had lost several people in her life. Her father. Two Brothers and my older brother.
She DESPERATELY wanted a girl that she would name Kimberly- but I was a big ass boy so she decided to name me after one of her brothers who had passed away- Kenny.
That's when my grandma- being superstitious- informed her it was bad luck to name someone after someone who had so recently passed.
So she combined the two names and got "Kimmy".
People ask me all the time if that is my whole name- and I used to just say- Yeah! and tell the story.
Then I started telling people that my full name was "Kimethius" expecting them to say "OH. Yeah, Kimmy is much better than that."
But they ALWAYS say- "Wow! Kimethius is a COOL name." To which I moan and walk away.
Now, "Kimmy" is actually used for men in Chinese culture- it means "Chief". "Gorden" I think is Scott and means "Of the Hill People".
So yeah, I got that going for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment