3.04.2009

Moment 064: Dancing With Kelly On Echo Valley

We lived on a street called Echo Valley for a while-

I was about 8 or 9 at the time. The street was a Cul-de-Sac so all the kids would hang out together and knew each other pretty well even if we didn't all get along all the time.

There were a couple sisters named Kelly and Becky there. They had an older brother named Hank who was in the 6th grade.
I used to hang with Kelly and Becky- mostly Kelly though. Kelly was crazy into "Grease"- that hot little musical starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton John. Now at the time, I was into Star Wars- but this Olivia chick was kinda smoking. I also thought Kelly was the bees-knees so on one of my MANY trips to the Century South movie theater- I happened to see "Grease" and it was THE BOMB (you know, in a good way- not A bomb).

So now I understood what Kelly was so freaky about and we would sing and dance to the songs together.

One day we decided to put on a show for our siblings- Well, not Hank because he was a dickhead 6th grader and you never knew what kind of attitude he was gonna have from day to day- but my brother Joe was in the audience and so was Becky. I forget if there were other kids but it feels like there were...

Anyway- we took a couple of boards and put them on the fence in my backyard so that they straddled the corner- this made a great stage.

How we didn't fall off and kill ourselves was probably a better show than the one we put on but we DID put on one HELL of a show. We did songs from "Grease" and The Bee Gees and I think we even made up some shit.

Good times...

Now, it was sometime around here there was a school dance at my elementary. Going into the dance I was a bit of an outcast 'cause of who I hung out with. All the popular kids were there though- Ronnie included.

They had this dance contest where people would some and tap you on the shoulder when they thought you sucked and you would have to leave the floor.

I was kickin' ass as they were playing a bunch of Grease songs and Bee Gee songs. Between the sessions with Kelly and the shit my Aunt Lo-Lo taught me- it was like I trained for this contest my whole life!

I totally came in first place and had the time of my life (you know, so far).

The next day at school- even Ronnie came up to me and gave me mad props for my dance moves. I didn't give a shit about his approval but I have to admit it was cool of him to say so- I also didn't get picked on as much after that.

School dances ROCK!

No comments: